Congressman Gonzalez Encourages South Texas Residents to Apply for Available Census Position
WASHINGTON – Congressman Vicente Gonzalez (TX-15) is encouraging eligible applicants in the 15th District of Texas to apply for an available Work At Home (WAH) position assigned to the Area Census Office (ACO) in McAllen, Texas.
This is a bilingual position for applicants fluent in English and Spanish. This is also a Time Limited Appointment, initial appointment is not to exceed September 30, 2020. This appointment may be extended at management’s discretion.
“This Census opportunity allows area residents to represent and improve their communities – directly from home,” Congressman Gonzalez said. “It is critical that the 15th District of Texas report accurate, full numbers during the 2020 Decennial Census. It is my hope that every available position, including Work At Home positions, can fulfill this goal.”
Responsibilities for the WAH position include:
- Directly supervise approximately 10-15 Census Field Supervisors and approximately 3-5 clerks.
- Provide group and individual training, monitors daily assignments and provides advice and guidance to subordinate staff.
- Maintain effective public relations with the community within the office boundaries, such as the local news media, community leaders and organizations, and local government officials.
- Establish an effective working relationship with traditionally hard to enumerate populations or with specific populations indigenous to the area within the office boundaries which incumbent is responsible for, including community, religious, or other characteristics.
- Assure that specific levels of quality and progress of field operations are being met through analysis of various computer-generated reports and observation.
- Review and analyze cost, quality, and progress reports to assure operations are coordinated within prescribed time allocations and quality and cost-efficient standards.
- Fluently speak Spanish in order to make and answer calls that may come from the Spanish population and organizations that service the Spanish community in the Area Census Office (ACO) geographical area.
- Present information to audiences that predominately speak Spanish and translate and develop targeted information and promotional materials from Spanish to English and English to Spanish when necessary.
To be eligible for a Census position, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have a valid email address.
- Complete an application and answer assessment questions. (Some assessment questions are available in Spanish. However, an English proficiency test may also be required.)
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after Dec. 31, 1959.
- Pass a Census-performed criminal background check and a review of criminal records, including fingerprinting.
- Commit to completing training.
- Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings, and/or weekends.
The application is now open and will close on December 10, 2018.For more information on this WAH position and how to apply, please visit https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518069000.