Congressman Gonzalez Encourages Individuals to Take Advantage of FCC Emergency Broadband Program
WASHINGTON – Today, Congressman Vicente Gonzalez encouraged residents of the 15th District of Texas to utilize the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) emergency broadband program. The FCC program provides a temporary discount on monthly broadband (high-speed internet) bills for qualifying low-income households.
“The pandemic underscored the deep inequalities when it comes to internet access,” said Congressman Gonzalez. “I encourage those who are eligible for this emergency broadband program to apply and utilize every resource made available by the American Rescue Plan to help people get back on their feet. I will continue working to break through the gridlock to deliver critical relief and upgrade our existing infrastructure so high-speed broadband access is affordable and available to all Central and South Texans.”
The programs benefits include:
- Up to $50 a month discount on service and associated equipment rentals
- Up to $75 a month discount for households on Tribal lands
- And a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desk top computer
Eligible individuals are:
- Those who experienced a substantial loss in income in 2020;
- Those who already meet the requirements of an internet service provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program;
- Those who qualify for Lifeline benefits through participation in SNAP and other government assistance programs;
- Participants of Tribal assistance programs;
- Those who received a Pell Grant;
- Those received benefits under free and reduced school lunch program
- Households with incomes at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- Examples: household of 1 making $17,338 per year; household of 4 making $35,775 per year
Apply online or by mail through USAC at getemergencybroadband.org/how-to-apply/
- Get a printable English language application by clicking here
- Get a printable Spanish language application by clicking here
- Get more instructions on applying here: getemergencybroadband.org/how-to-apply/show-you-qualify/
Apply directly through a local provider. (Please note that not all providers are offering the benefit.)
- Find a broadband company near you at getemergencybroadband.org/companies-near-me/
- See a list of participating providers by state: www.fcc.gov/emergency-broadband-benefit-providers
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a temporary program. It will end when the funds run out or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services ends the COVID-19 health emergency.